Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Meet the Hunting Pro Staff - Maria Young

Meet Maria Young - one of our two new Hunting Pro Staff members!

Maria is an avid hunter. From whitetail hunter, to turkey every spring, coyote hunting, and even raccoon. Personally, and as a member of the Dressed to Kill TV show, she has hunted in New York, North Carolina, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri and Iowa, as well as Canada for black bear and, of course, taking some time out for fishing! She’s a busy mom to three young women, businesswoman, wife, and hunter, but she took some time out to talk to us about her passion of hunting!


How did you get started hunting?

My father, grandfather and uncles all hunted while I was a child, but I started out competition shooting at the age of 8 in New York state. It wasn’t until I met my husband, Tim, that I started to hunt while we were dating in the late 90s. Tim is the one responsible for teaching me all of my hunting skills. His obsession turned into our passion not only as a couple, but now also as a family!
 

What is your favorite hunting method and why?

My favorite style is archery, by far! I think it’s the most challenging and the most rewarding. You have to practice every day and make sure that you are precise with your shots, as you do not want to wound an animal.
 

Three tips or techniques that you think everyone should practice:

  1. Learn to judge yardage, since you never know when the time will come that you won’t be able to grab that rangefinder. Even if you range a few spots from your stand each time you get in there, this will give you a better idea of how far your target is, just in case you can’t grab the range finder.
  2.  Always wear, or bring, an additional layer along with you, no matter the temperature. You can always take a layer off, but if you get cold and didn’t wear/bring an extra one, this might ruin your sit.
  3. As an archery hunter, have a back up release in your bag at all times! You never know when yours will break, or you might drop one out of the stand after you have been up there a bit!


What are three items you NEVER leave home without when you go hunting?

 My phone, my protein chews and my bow!


Who has been the biggest influence on you when it comes to the outdoors? Tell us about it.

My husband Tim has, by far, been the biggest influence on me when it come to the outdoors. He has taught me how the moon phases work, to watch not only the temperature, but the barometric pressure, the wind direction and its changes throughout the day, thermals, sunrise/sunset, as well as how to hang stands - where and why, how to plant food plots, and so much more! Without Tim, I would not be the huntress I am today!

Maria’s passion is hunting and her mission, as a Pro Staff member, is to pass that passion along to others, especially those groups two demographics who may need some extra encouragement - women and children.

“I want to teach more women and children about the outdoors, give them the encouragement that anyone can hunt and enjoy time with friends/family/loved ones in nature and assist as many men, women and children, as possible, to become hunters everywhere, safely and ethically!”

Follow Maria on social media - she is always open to answering questions. Look for her to be at Bass Pro Shops Altoona for seminars, etc!

http://ift.tt/1OND8wJ
Twitter/Instagram/Periscope/Pinterest @MariaYoungDTK

____________________________

Like us @  Bass Pro Shops Altoona
Visit us @ http://ift.tt/1IWIPWa
Tweet us @bassproaltoona
Pin us @ http://ift.tt/1IWINxq
View us @ 
http://youtube.com/bassproshopsaltoona
Picture us @ http://ift.tt/1WyI1xR



from fishing for bass http://ift.tt/1S9qGvn via smallmouth bass fishing tips
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1NyEpng

No comments:

Post a Comment